The Whistler range was unveiled at Whiskey Live, Dublin Castle
The Boann Distillery, a state of the art, family owned distillery located in the heart of the Boyne Valley in Co. Meath, has unveiled its debut range of Irish whiskey called The Whistler.
The Whistler collection consists of a family of three exceptional whiskeys :
- The Whistler ‘The Blue Note’ – Single Malt 7 Year old Irish Whiskey – 46% Alc/Vol
- The Whistler ‘How The Years Whistle By’ – Single Malt 10 Year old Irish Whiskey – 46% Alc/Vol
- The Whistler ‘Natural Cask Strength Limited Edition’ – Single Malt 7 Year Old Irish Whiskey – 59% Alc/Vol
The Whiskeys has been aged in first fill Bourbon barrels before being transferred to hand selected Oloroso Sherry casks to finish for two years. The Sherry cask finish adds a rich sweetness and depth to the whiskey. All have been bottled at natural colour without chill filtration.
The 7 year old, Natural Cask Strength edition is limited to 1200 bottles.
The Whistler story is based on a rich history of family traditions, inspired by the legendary Boyne Valley. Whistled into life one fabled New Year’s Eve, the range is born of the noteworthy craft and time honoured traditions that are as old as the story told, the written word and the whistled tune.
The Whistler range was officially launched at ‘Whiskey Live’, Ireland’s premier whiskey tasting event in the Printworks, Dublin Castle.
The Whistler range is crafted at the Boann Distillery and Boyne Brewhouse in Drogheda, one of Ireland’s only joint Craft Breweries and Distilleries. The location already produces a range of innovative craft beers for the domestic and export market.
Speaking about ‘The Whistler’, Peter Cooney said:
“At Boann Distillery our ethos are the forgotten arts and the spoken word, The Whistler Irish Whiskey Single Malt expressions represents these ideals perfectly. Non Chill Filtered and Natural Colour is us putting our best foot forward for our first release. With The Whistler Irish Whiskey Single Malt expressions, it’s all about our hand selected Sherry Oloroso barrels.”
The Celtic Whiskey Shop , Irishwhiskeyworldwide.com
The Whistler ‘The Blue Note’ – Single Malt 7 Year old Irish Whiskey – 46% Alc/Vol
- NOSE: Sweet sherbet lemon balanced beautifully with creamy salted caramel and undertones of red currants and dark fruit
- PALATE: Dry, citrus sweetness, slight pepperiness tied with hints of red berries from the nose
- FINISH: Light citrus sweetness that gives way to the slightly soft wood influence
The Whistler ‘How The Years Whistle By’ – Single Malt 10 Year old Irish Whiskey – 46% Alc/Vol
- NOSE: Smooth honeycomb and vanilla with fleshy orchard fruits, such as ripe pear and green Apple
- PALATE: Soft and delicate that develops into a green orchard fruits’ bouquet with undertones of vanilla
- FINISH: Medium-length soft finish, sweet toffee tones with green apples
The Whistler ‘Natural Cask Strength Limited Edition’ – Single Malt 7 Year Old Irish Whiskey – 59% Alc/Vol
- NOSE: Beautifully creamy salted caramel opens with undertones of dry orange peel and rich red apples. The caramel becomes deliciously more pronounced with the addition of water.
- PALATE: Large burst of citrus fruits, slight pepperiness that gives way to the salted caramel from the nose. Smooth and creamy caramel coupled with its saltiness that lends itself quite well to the slight pepperiness that remains when cut with more water.
- FINISH: Lingering creamy caramel finish with a hint of the pepperiness from the palate.
For further details about The Boann Distillery and ‘The Whistler’